We’re experts at fixing drainage problems too.
What can make this happen?
- Poor grading – Prevents water from getting to drains and running away from structures on a property. Poor grading can also lead to water flowing onto your from a neighboring property. Water can also collect and puddle on hard surfaces like walkways, patios and driveways. Not only does this make a muddy mess but those puddles freeze in the winter and cause safety concerns.
- Downspouts and gutters – Clogged gutters cause water to spill over and leach into the soil around the foundation of a building. Downspouts that empty into flower beds can kill plants, erode soil and lead to consistently wet soil around the foundation.
- Poor soil – Pennsylvania soil conditions usually have a high clay content which prevents water from quickly being absorbed into the soil.
- Impervious Surfaces – These are areas of your property that prevent water from being absorbed. These areas usually consist of the house, garage, patio, walkway, driveway, deck, shed and pool. The more impervious surfaces you have, the more likely you are to have water problems.
- Clogged drains – French drains and collection basins are great tools to utilize to minimize and eliminate water problems, but they require proper installation and occasional visual inspections to make sure they are free and clear of debris.
Why should you be concerned about this?
- Water damage is the second most commonly filed insurance claim, and the average claim is $5,000 or more.
- Poorly drained lawn areas usually cannot grow grass, especially in wet areas. Wet and sparse areas of grass are always the first places that are damaged from lawn mowers.
- Standing water and wet soil puts your trees, bushes at flowers at risk of disease, mold and fungus causing them to die.
- Water problems are one of the first red flags that a potential new home buyer looks for.
How can I fix this?
There are many solutions for these problems which are all specific to the conditions of your property and the problem you’re experiencing. Most solutions are underground, but some above ground solutions not only fix the problem but also add aesthetic beauty to the property.
- Stormwater management systems
- Burying and connecting downspouts
- Rainwater gardens and dry creek beds
PLS has extensive knowledge and experience in all phases of grading, drainage and storm water management solutions, to fix your problems right the first time. Click here to contact PLS to have one of our estimators perform a site evaluation and discuss the solutions that are right for you.
Storm Water Garden
Underground Storm Chambers